Aug 24, 2017

Gene expression analysis shows that an AHR2 mutant fish population from the Hudson River has a dramatically reduced response to dioxin



Together with Ike Wirgin in the NYUMC Dept. of EnvironmentalMedicine, we just published a paper on a gene expression study of a fish population in the Hudson River in Genome Biology and Evolution. "A Dramatic Difference inGlobal Gene Expression between TCDD-Treated Atlantic Tomcod Larvae from theResistant Hudson River and a Nearby Sensitive Population"



Atlantic tomcod (Microgadus tomcod) is a fish that Ike has been studying for many years as an indicator of biological responses to toxic pollution of the Hudson River estuary which contains two of the largest Superfund sites in the nation because of PCB and dioxin (TCDD)contamination. It was previously shown that tomcod from the Hudson River had extraordinarily high prevalence of liver tumors in the 1970's, exceeding 90% in older fish.  But in 2006 they found that the Hudson River population of this fish had many fewer tumors and a 100-fold reduction of induction of the Cytochrome P450 pathway in response to dioxin and PCB exposure (Wirgin and Chambers 2006). In a 2011 Science paper, they reported a two amino acid deletion of the AHR2 gene in the Hudson River population that was absent, or nearly so, in all other tomcod populations.  The aryl hydrocarbon receptor is responsible for induction of CYP genes in all vertebrates and in activation of most toxicities from these contaminants (Wirginet al 2011).


Our goal for this project was to build a de novo sequence of the genome of the tomcod, annotate all the genes, and do a global analysis of gene expression (with RNAseq) to look at the genome-wide effects of the AHR2 mutation in Hudson River larvae as compared to wild type fish (collected from a clean location at Shinnecock Bay, on the South Shore of Long Island, in the Hamptons). All DNA and RNA sequencing was done at the NYUMC Genome Technology Center under the direction of Adriana Heguy

From a bioinformatics point of view, this project was interesting because we decided to integrate both a genome assembly and multiple transcriptome assemblies to get the most complete set of full-length protein coding genes.  For the transcriptome, we did de novo assembly with rnaSPAdes on many different RNAseq samples including embryo, juvenile, and adult liver.  We made the genome assembly with SoapDenovo2, and then predicted gene coding regions with GLIMMER-HMM. We combined all of these different sets of transcript coding sequences with the EvidentialGene pipeline created by Don Gilbert. With the final merged set of transcripts, we used Salmon to (very quickly) quasi-map the reads in each RNAseq sample onto the transcriptome and quantify gene expression.  Differential gene expression was computed with edgeR.

The results were extremely dramatic. At low doses of dioxin, the wild type larvae show a huge gene expression response, with about a thousand genes having large fold-changes (some key genes were validated by qRT-PCR). The mutant Hudson River larvae basically ignore these low doses, with almost no gene expression changes. At the highest does (1 ppb), the Hudson River fish show some gene expression changes, but mostly not in the same genes as in the wild type fish.  Even the negative control larvae (not treated with dioxin) show a large difference in gene expression between the two populations.  








11 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice posting. Your article us quite informative. Thanks for the same. Our service also helps you to market your products with various marketing

strategies, right from emails to social media. Whether you seek to increase ROI or drive higher efficiencies at lower costs, Pegasi Media Group is your

committed partner will provide b2bleads.
NextGen Healthcare

Unknown said...

informative article.

Mathew said...


The knowledge you share really helpful. I sincerely thank you for what you have done, surely your blog will help more people.

rna fixation said...

Very nice posting. Your article is quite informative. Thanks for the same. Our service also helps you to market your products with various marketing.

Click Here:- single cell rna sequencing

Donna said...

I am Doctor Paul I got affected with HIV in the process of attending to my HIV patient I tried all I can to get cured but all to no avail, until I saw a post in a health forum about a herbalist man who prepare herbal medication to cure all kind of diseases including HIV virus, at first I doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when I contact this herbalist via his email Blessedlovetemple@gmail.com and he prepared a HIV herbal cure and sent it to me via fed-ex delivery company service, when I received this herbal cure, he gave me step by directions on how to apply it, when I applied it as instructed, I was totally cured of this deadly disease within 5 days of usage, I am now free from the deadly disease called HIV, all thanks to Dr Mark. Contact this great herbal spell caster. Kindly contact him. Blessedlovetemple@gmail.com
He cures all kinds of sickness or diseases such as: 1. HERPES VIRUS 2. LASSA FEVER 3. GONORRHEA 4. HIV/AID 5. EX BACK.
Thanks Dr Mark for saving my life.

Charles Albert said...

Happiness is all i see now big thanks to Dr. igene from West Africa (NIGERIA), I never thought that I will live on earth before the year runs out. I have been suffering from a deadly disease herpes Virus for the past 2 years now; I had spent a lot of money going from one place to another, hospitals have been my home every day. Constant checks have been my hobby not until this blessed day, I was searching through the Internet, I saw a testimony on how Dr. igene. from West Africa (NIGERIA) helped someone in curing his herpes Virus . quickly I copied his Whatsapp Contact: +2348133321898 just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did,he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal medication, I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just contact him by Email: at [ drigeneherbalhome613@gmail.com ] whatsapp him on +2348133321898 HIS HAVE THE CURE TO THIS FOLLOWING DEADLY DISEASE [1] Ischemic heart disease [2] Cerebrovascular disease [3] Lower respiratory infections [4] Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [5] Diarrhea diseases [6] Trachea, bronchus, lung cancers [7] Tuberculosis [8] Diabetes mellifluous [9] Hypertension heart disease [10] HIV/AIDS

Ric Clayton said...

I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whats app +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

danish said...

I Like to add one more important thing here, Next generation sequencing Market, is a DNA sequencing technology. The procedure of DNA sequencing, which chooses the exact order of nucleotides inside a DNA molecule, is known as Next generation sequencing. Next generation sequencing is high throughput sequencing.

danish said...

I Like to add one more important thing here, The Global Next Generation Sequencing NGS Market is expected to be around US$ 19.0 Billion by 2025 and will grow at a CAGR of more than 20% in the given forecast period.

Yash said...

Great Article! Really an indepth article to explain RNA-Seq Analysis in detail.

Matthew Miles said...

https://www.snsinsider.com/reports/biobanking-market-1753